Fri Mar 4, 2011

Today was a difficult day for me.  I heard some undesirable comments.

There was a comment about our insurance company supposedly telling the hospital to have 'no more nights' for Dianne during her last visit.  I'm unsure if this is true but it could have been the reason for the 'late in the day' discharge. 

The other comment made by multiple hospital staff was that we should start looking for 'long term health care'.  This was then followed by a series of informational brochures on special needs equipment and physical therapy treatments.

I felt that the hospital had given up and was tired of this situation.  I hadn't felt good about the discharge the last time and how the med list was handled.  I expressed that Dianne was on an IV up to when they discharged her and that I would thought that she would have been stabilized on the current meds before sending her out the door.

I don't feel that an adequate review was done of the complete med list and that all the specialists just added to a list until we had 11 different drugs that possibly shouldn't be taken together.  I don't feel that the pharmacy handled the list in the best manner which could have lead to Dianne taking the wrong dose of drugs.

All these things left me very unhappy.  I had another commitment in the afternoon so I left.  Avonne Kettler arrived sometime later and stayed most of the afternoon.  She reported that Dr. Cagan stopped by and thinks that Dianne's wobbliness may be due to Lyrica, as it's evidently a pretty powerful medication.

After returning to the hospital, Dianne seems to be doing well but continues to sleep most of the time.  During her awake time, she is more alert and has even did some stretching.  I feel it was just inappropriate to have the discussions that occurred this morning.

-Jeff